We have spent the last 15+ years working with The Open University delivering digital services to ~200,000 students per year. We are now keen to explore opportunities to work with more organisations across the UK Higher Education sector.
We have delivered a fully integrated online Help Centre, an accessible web form framework, web chat and a comprehensive set of design tools, templates, components and usage guidance.
Digital Student Support Platform
We led on the technical strategy, developed and delivered an agile and responsive system for delivering digital student support content. This custom framework was used as the basis for the online student Help Centre, Student Policies and Regulations and OU Community.
Student Help Centre
The main hub for OU digital student support. We designed, developed and led on content strategy, interaction design, information architecture, visual design, technical frameworks and delivered a host of digital student services including complex web forms to help students self-serve.
Complaints and appeals
We worked on many different services at the OU. The student complaints and appeals solution regularly attracts very positive feedback from students. In this solution, students have ready access to contact the correct person or department to resolve their complaint as well as the opportunity to try and self-serve answers to their queries.
Countdown to study
It's hard for students to know what they need to do and when in an organisation as complex as the Open University. We developed a pilot interactive timeline with prompts to do certain things. For example, apply for Disability Support Allowance (DSA) as soon as possible after registering for a course. This concept proved so popular with students that it became a mainstay of the student experience.
More services we have worked on
We have worked with subject matter experts to improve and enhance many services including;
- Support with study during the Coronavirus pandemic
- Taking a break from study
- Getting careers and employability advice
- Booking an online or face to face tutorial
- Requesting extra time to complete an assignment
- Request special circumstances are taken into account in module results
- Requesting additional support at tutorials and residential schools
- Requesting financial support
- Requesting to change course
- Selecting and registering on modules
- Requesting a reference from the OU
- Checking digital skills levels
- Help writing assignments
- Mental health and wellbeing support
- Student induction
- Support with next steps having completed a qualification
Who we have worked with
We have worked with HE staff across many different units including;
- Student Services
- Marketing and communications
- Learning design
- Human Resources
- Finance and procurement